“Then God said, ‘Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.’ And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.”
As I prayed about what to share about my garden and my experiences with gardening, my heart was continually drawn to look at the heart of the one true Gardener… God!
God has created each of us to plant our own gardens with His seeds. He has directed us to plan, prepare, plant and enjoy time in the garden, live in freedom, and enjoy our lives!
In scripture, God refers to seeds as His words that are not perishable seeds, but imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God (1 Peter 1:23).
Just as God has given us His seeds (words) to plant, sow, water and nourish, He has also given us talents to plant and grow flower gardens for beauty or vegetable gardens for nourishment. Which ever garden you desire, here are a few tips to help you design and grow your gardens.
Gardening tips : Easy Gardening
- Make a plan – Find a space – Check out amount of time for sun or shade in that space.
- Check out Better Homes and Garden – Free garden plans (5 Easy Garden Plans ) or other websites.
- Prepare – Clean it up and add necessary nutrients with fertilizer, compost and/or garden soil.
- Flowers – Look around your neighborhood, visit with professionals or friends or check out Pinterest.
- Head to Nursery – Read the cards – Annuals vs. perennials – Sun vs. shade.
- Budget – Know what you can afford and shop around! Sometimes people are thinning out their flowers and you can get free flowers – start from seed if you have time.
- Plant – use a variety, mix colors and textures, add rocks or other decorative items.
- Feed/Water – Water daily and feed once a month (dry fertilizer).
- Deadhead – Cut off dead flowers. This allows for a second flush to develop. Weed. Add or move flowers as needed.
- Mulch – Helps to control weeds and holds moisture.
My encouragement to you is: as you plant flowers and seeds in your gardens this Spring and Summer, take time and speak to the Ultimate Gardener and ask where your spiritual seeds can be planted!
…Be patient, bearing with one another in love (Ephesians 4:2) as you wait on The Lord for His seeds (words) to flourish in the hearts of the people God places on your heart. The Lord will bless your efforts as you design, plant, nurture and love your gardens.
“The glory of gardening:
hands in the dirt,
head in the sun,
heart with nature.
To nurture a garden
is to feed not
just on the body,
but the soul.”
We would like to thank Bambi Lutrick for writing this post!